free blog space+a desire to share my heart=why you are here :)

Monday, December 14, 2009

Everything changes....

As I sat, last week, signing Christmas cards, it hit me just how much life has changed over the last several years. My world is COMPLETELY different today than the day I graduated college; my priorities have changed and my plans for the future have an altered look. But one thing continually sticks out to me as odd… PEOPLE. I find myself thinking back to the people I used to spend my time with. Many of those friends have moved on and up in their lives; i.e. Gotten married, had kids, started new careers, joined the military, gotten divorced…you name it. Don’t misunderstand me, I LOVE my friends. I am blessed, beyond all I could ever dream, with encouraging, supportive, corrective, loving, thoughtful, true friends; People who aren’t afraid to tell me truth, people who will let me just sit and cry, people who will let me talk forever, people who keep me grounded… BUT I can’t help but miss the people whom I’ve lost touch with. I know what you may be thinking, “if you miss them so much, call them…” easier said than done. I truly believe as people grow up, they can grow apart. Let’s face it, what’s important to us in a friend at 18 may or may not be important to us at 25. When I was 18, I was drinking, goofing off and hanging out with people who did the same. I’m 25 now (at least for 2 more weeks) and everything is different. Time is precious to me now. People are important to me now. God is the center of my universe now and the folks I spend my time with have the same mentality. And I may find that when I’m 30, everything will be different again.
This truth remains…. Every person who has shaped me has taken a part of me. I can remember meeting this guy several years back who was completely different from anyone I had ever met. We instantly became friends…the kind of friends who would sit in a completely silent living room and talk for hours about books and history and theories. He moved away, but then moved back…yet we NEVER talk anymore. I think about the friends I made in college. The girls I went out with every single week for 4 years. And now, we are almost strangers again. Is this because we didn’t care about each other as much as we thought or have our lives gotten so hectic that a quick email or phone call would throw our entire schedule off? I believe in the saying that “some people come into your life for seasons and some people come into your life for reasons.” I guess I just didn’t get so attached to them in the process.
If you are someone who was once a friend to me, please know that I probably think of you often. I hope life is treating you kindly and I am a better person because we were once friends.
If you are someone whom I spend time with now, please know that I adore you and am thankful everyday that god has placed you in my life. I am a better person because we are friends.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for mentioning "Same Kind of Different as Me" on your blog! I work with Thomas Nelson, and we would love to follow your blog and hear what readers think of this exciting book. I also want to let you know that Ron and Denver have just released a new book What Difference Do It Make? which updates readers on their activity since the first book came out. Please contact me with your mailing address if you are interested in receiving a complimentary copy of the new book for review on your site at your convenience.

    Thanks!

    Jodi Hughes
    pubintern@thomasnelson.com

    ReplyDelete